Friday, September 12, 2008

Atlanta

So with all the hurricanes going about, our trip to Atlanta we expected to be more rainy than anything. As it turned out, because it was all conference and one day of play, we really only saw the inside of our hotel, and it was reasonably sunny outside. Part of the reason is that I ended up with pink-eye (again? yes, again.) and the condition makes you so sensitive to light, I couldn't wear my contacts and I don't have prescription sunglasses on purpose (because I always wear contacts), going outside would have been torture. It was hard enough being in a dark room watching a TV screen. Though my eyes watered often, it was hard to stay focused without getting a headache. I'm just glad Sam let me sleep as long as he did. I think it really helped.

We left Melanie with my sister and my mom where she ended up with a terrible rash that I've been trying to soothe for the last 5 days. She's had yeast infections before, and since the rash ointment isn't working on it's own, we're using the additional cream from the prior infections. It's calmed it down a bit, but for goodness sakes it's so persistent. Sam and I bought a potty top for the toilet before we left and let her sit on it a couple times. When I hear Melanie getting gassy, I ask if she wants to go to the toilet. She says, "Poop" and runs to the toilet for me to take off her diaper and let her on the toilet. She loves taking the toilet paper and putting it in the toilet. Though I haven't established a routine of going at a particular time (after nap, every hour, after dinner, before bedtime, whatever), it seems to work for me for now. She's actually gone poop once and pee twice. Yay! Either way, she's comfortable sitting on the toilet, and if she enjoys it enough, maybe she'll train herself enough to where I'm not buying a case of diapers once/month.
With a newborn on the way, my diaper purchases will be increasing as it is, but to buy only one instead of 2 cases would be much more preferable.

1 comment:

The Caple Crew said...

That is so awesome Melanie is doing so great with the potty! Have you found out what you are having yet?